Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Early Signing Period: 3-star WR Jalen Johnson signs with Arizona

Wide receiver commit Jalen Johnson on a visit to Arizona, September 2018

Meet the speedy receiver from SoCal

The Arizona Wildcats signed a big, speedy wide receiver from Southern California on Wednesday in 3-star Jalen Johnson.

Read on for Johnson’s profile.


Height/Weight: 6-foot-3, 185 pounds

High School: Eleanor Roosevelt High School

Hometown: Eastvale, California

Ranking: No. 1,173 overall, No. 136 wide receiver, No. 110 player in California

Star Rating: 3-star (247Sports Composite), 3-star (247Sports), 3-star (Rivals)

2018 Stats: 45 receptions, 789 yards, 6 TD

Career Stats: 55 receptions, 978 yards, 7 TD

Other Offers: Colorado State, New Mexico, Oregon State, Utah

Early Enrollee: No

Brandon’s thoughts: I really enjoy watching Johnson play. He has made a sizable and noticeable jump in his game from his junior to senior seasons. He is fast for his size, running somewhere around a 4.5-second 40-yard dash. His routes are crisper and much improved from last season. His playmaking ability is what stands out to me the most. He is a threat all over the field, most notably along the sideline and intermediate to deep down the field. I can’t wait to see what he does at the next level.

Gabe’s Thoughts: Arizona is landing a speedy threat with size and much improved route running from a year ago. The offense is going to be interesting to see in a few years once Noel Mazzone gets his personnel and scheme fully in place. But regardless of scheme, I think Johnson ends up having a nice career at Arizona. If it’s more of a spread, vertical type of offense, Johnson will be dangerous over the top. If it’s a short passing game filled with screens, he has the ability to make guys miss off the line. He’s a great prospect because he’s not the one-trick speed burner that relies on one dimension. He has size, speed, elusiveness and a route tree. You could plug him into any Pac-12 offense, whether that’s Oregon, Utah or USC, and he’ll make plays.

Season Highlights:

Favorite Food: “It is definitely pizza!”

Favorite Music Artist: “Male artist is Drake and female artist is Lauryn Hill.”

Hobbies: “I like to draw, play the piano, sing, and, of course, play video games!”

Favorite Sports Team/Pro Athlete: “I don’t have a favorite team but my favorite player is Dez Bryant.”

Biggest supporter throughout your career: “My biggest supporters have been my parents and my track coach, Chris Wilcox.”

What you love most about playing football: “I just love competing. I’m a competitor when it comes to anything. Football is somewhere I can do that every single play.”

Major: “To be honest I haven’t completely decided yet. I’m still trying to make up my mind.”



from Arizona Desert Swarm - All Posts https://ift.tt/2Bv2mzz
via IFTTT

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home