Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Early Signing Period: 3-star CB Maurice Gaines Jr. signs with Arizona

Meet the lockdown corner from NorCal

The Arizona Wildcats signed a lockdown cornerback from Northern California on Wednesday in 3-star Maurice Gaines Jr.

Read on for Gaines’ profile.


Height/Weight: 6-foot-2, 195 pounds

High School: St. Thomas More

Hometown: Oakland, California

Ranking: No. 1,529 overall, No. 148 cornerback, No. 11 player in Connecticut

Star Rating: 3-star (247Sports Composite), 3-star (247Sports), 2-star (Rivals)

2018 Stats: Unknown

Career Stats: Unknown

Other Offers: Arkansas, Baylor, Cincinnati, Florida Atlantic, Fresno State, Georgia Tech, Hawaii, Houston, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kansas State, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma State, Oregon State, Rutgers, San Diego State, San Jose State, SMU, South Carolina, Syracuse, Texas, Wyoming

Early Enrollee: Yes

Brandon’s thoughts: Gaines is a legit lockdown corner. Throughout his high school career he has shut receivers down. Whether that’s making a play on the ball or straight up boxing them out along the sideline. He is completely underrated and will undoubtedly be a starting corner sooner than later. He has a really strong connection with cornerbacks coach Demetrice Martin, and that helped stave off a wave of other big-time offers he received.

Gabe’s Thoughts: Mo Gaines, mo problems, man. This is a really good commitment that is bring size and maturity to a depleted position group. He’s an eventual starting corner for Arizona and I think he easily burns through his redshirt this upcoming season. It’s disgusting how many offers he landed in October, yet he still never wavered from his commitment and has only dropped in the rankings since then. He’s easily a top-800 prospect.

Maurice’s thoughts on being a Wildcat: “It’s amazing man! I’ll be a Wildcat for life. I love everything about Arizona: the fans, the atmosphere, the players, and the coaches!”

Season Highlights:

Favorite Food: “Seafood or fettuccine alfredo with chicken and shrimp.”

Favorite Music Artist: “Meek Mill and Post Malone...it’s a tie. I like all types of music though.”

Hobbies: “Training of course and listening to music. Also video games and mind games that make you think.”

Favorite Sports Team/Pro Athlete: “My team is the (San Francsico) 49ers and my favorite player will always be Charles Woodson. A current player I like is Jalen Ramsey.”

Biggest supporter throughout your career: “My biggest supporter has been my uncle, who I live with. He’s sacrificed so much for me to get to where I’m at today.”

What you love most about playing football: “I love the game itself, not just my highlights but the mistakes too. I can learn every aspect of the game, such as coverages. (I also love) the bonds with the team.”

Major: “Business, do some pre-business classes. Then chose between marketing or accounting, with a minor in communication or something.”



from Arizona Desert Swarm - All Posts https://ift.tt/2A8HgY3
via IFTTT

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home