Sunday, April 26, 2015

Q & A with future Wildcat hooper, Ray Smith

Get to know the dynamic incoming freshman forward

Ray Smith is the one of the highly touted players in Arizona's loaded 2015 recruiting class. 247Sports.com ranked Smith as the 12th best prospect in his in class.

"Ray is a terrific athlete who can really get up and down the floor. He has the size you want as a small forward, and he can really pass, shoot and dribble. He’s a very skilled basketball player with great size," Sean Miller said about the dynamic forward (via Arizona Athletics).

With the departure of Stanley Johnson and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson to the NBA, he should have a major role on this year's team.

As a junior, Smith averaged 24.7 points, 6.0 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game and was named to Nevada's first-team all-state. Unfortunately, an ACL tear would force him to miss his senior season.

I know Wildcat fans are interested to see how his recovery is going, so we asked him that and some other questions. Here they are:

Q: Obviously the main thing Arizona fans have been wondering: How’s your recovery coming along? How close are you to being 100%?

Ray Smith:  My leg is fine. I'm able to do all things that I could do before, and I've also took the time to gain 20 lbs. I'm not a big percentage guy, but I would say I'm about 100%.

Q: How has being sidelined with an injury changed how you see the game?

RS: Being on the sideline just showed me really how to get easy buckets without having to do a lot, like cutting.

Q: You had a number of schools recruiting you, but obviously you chose Arizona. What were the main things about the program that impacted your decision?

RS: Damon Stoudamire is a big reason I came to the University of Arizona. He was there with me before I blew up, and I just have a lot of trust in him that he will get me right.

Q: What are some things you do best on the court, and what are some areas you would like to improve on?

RS: I feel like I can improve in all ways, and I also feel that I do everything well. It's just a matter of sharpening all parts of my game up.

Q: Which player(s) do you model your game after?

RS: Paul George, Melo, and Kobe are the new guys that I am studying right now.

Q: What do you expect your role to be on this year’s team?

RS: Be a leader and work hard! Play great basketball.

Q: What has been your most memorable moment in your basketball career so far?

RS: That I have never lost a rivalry game in my basketball career.

Q: Other than basketball, what’s one of your other favorite hobbies?

RS: I just love hanging with family more than anything.

Q: Rondae’s "shimmy" before each free throw routine became quite a thing here at Arizona, do you have a unique free throw ritual or routine that could take its place?

RS: Nothing crazy. Just two dribbles, breathe, spin, and let it go.

Q: What’s one thing you want Arizona fans to know about you?

RS: Man, I just want to hoop, and if you see me say wassup!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want some visual proof that his knee's doing well, here you go:




from Arizona Desert Swarm - All Posts http://ift.tt/1A320XY
via IFTTT

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home