Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Oh hey there, Arizona Desert Swarm

It only makes sense that when starting something new, you would introduce yourself to everyone. With that in mind, hello AZ Desert Swarm. I’m Adam Green, and I’m excited to be here.

Not to sound too full of myself, but I imagine it’s possible some of you know me. And, if not that, are at least vaguely familiar with my work.

I have spent time with a couple of different media organizations in the Phoenix area. At one of them, among other things, I co-hosted a podcast dedicated to the Arizona Wildcats. Since leaving that job, I have been fortunate enough to have a role co-hosting another UA-related podcast, this time with Ronnie Stoffle for the Wildcat Radio Network.

Talking about the Wildcats is something I have enjoyed doing for years. When approached about the possibility of joining this great staff and writing about my alma mater (Class of 2006), it was an opportunity I could not pass up.

Of course, anyone who has ever read my work before, listened to me on the podcasts or followed me on Twitter probably has an idea of what to expect from me. If you have never heard of me prior to this article (if so, ouch), please let me give you an idea.

While I am a fan of the Wildcats, I try not to be a homer. Yes, I want them to win — it’s always more enjoyable writing and talking about good teams, especially when you have a rooting interest. However, I will not shy away from pointing out the bad or calling out issues I see.

Or from using sarcasm. Yeah, I will definitely use sarcasm.

Yet I will not strive to be negative, either. There is enough of that already and, quite frankly, I don’t see any value in playing the devil’s advocate role just for clicks.

In other words: my promise to you, the reader (and listener), is to always be honest with my takes. Whether they be hot, cold, mild, exciting, controversial, boring or anything in between, the one thing you can be sure of is it is something that I absolutely believe.

That’s not to say I know everything about Arizona Athletics, because I don’t. In fact, there may not be much that separates you from me these days.

Just like you, I watch as many games as I can. Just like you, I read pretty much every article about the teams that I can find. Just like you, my days are a little worse following a loss while there is a little more pep in my step after a win.

Just like you I loathe Wisconsin basketball and have a fear of game-winning field goal attempts in football.

That’s not to say we will always have the same opinion of everything that happens. You might disagree with me, and that’s fine. If there’s one thing I’ve learned over my time in this industry it’s that you will never be able to make every reader or listener happy.

But my hope is to if not validate your previously-held opinions, at least maybe get you to think about something a bit differently.

These days, Arizona has given us plenty to think about. Whether it’s a softball team that made a great run, a women’s golf program that once again made us proud or a baseball team that got hosed out of a postseason spot, there has been no shortage of excitement of late.

There has also been that whole investigation into basketball, which is less exciting than it is stressful. Really, really stressful. Could that be behind them?

Is basketball really out of the woods and ready to get back to being an annual Final Four contender? I really hope so, and the continually impressive recruiting efforts give the impression that no major punishment will be coming.

But could it really be that lucky? If history is any indication, luck isn’t really Arizona’s thing.

Yet I am cautiously optimistic, especially since about this time one year ago none of us really knew or even expected Sean Miller and the program to get back to a high level of recruiting so soon.

Be honest: As the 2018 class fell apart, you doubted if Arizona would ever get back to the level we have gotten used to.

Just me? You’re a liar.

As for football, I’m probably more bullish on the team’s chances this year than many. If Khalil Tate progresses as passer like he did last season and is now healthy enough to run again, then he alone is capable of masking the team’s deficiencies and winning games.

It wasn’t long ago when he did exactly that. And hey, maybe the lack of high expectations will be a good thing for the program.

There will be more to talk about over the coming weeks and months. Admittedly, I would like to write about good news and times, but whatever happens, I cannot wait to write about it all here.



from Arizona Desert Swarm - All Posts http://bit.ly/2FiWegR
via IFTTT

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home