Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Touchback master Lucas Havrisik ‘not very happy’ with his placekicking

The Arizona Wildcats finally got a win last Saturday, defeating Southern Utah, 62-31. On special teams, placekicker Lucas Havrisik had a great game, going 2-for-2 on field goals and a perfect 8-for-8 on extra points.

Thanks to Arizona’s high score, he also attempted 11 kickoffs, all of which went for touchbacks.

Havrisik spoke to the media on Tuesday. Here is what he had to say.

On kicking off 11 times in one game...

“Yeah, I mean we just kept going and going, I was like ‘dang, we got another kick’...but, it was fun .. I’m not gonna lie I was pretty tired.”

On if he keeps track of his touchback percentage...

“Not so much my touchback percentage, but more the ones I mess up on. Like, first game, I kicked one out of bounds. I try to get all of them out (of the end zone).

On his goal for touchbacks this season...

“100%. I’m gonna hold myself to a high standard.”

On his field goal performance thus far...

“I also set myself for a high standard there too. I’m not very happy with my stats right now (4 for 6), but you can’t really worry about that right now, just gotta go on to the next kick.”

On how quickly he can forget a missed field goal...

“Next play. Can’t really think about it. If you miss, you can’t really do anything about it, you just gotta move on to the next play”.

On Zane Gonzalez and Daniel Carlson begin cut after missing game-winning field goal attempts in the NFL...

“I mean, you probably shouldn’t think about. My mindset’s not there, it’s you go out there every kick...and its a new kick, so if you miss the last one you gotta go do your best on the next one.”

On whether her feels empathy for other college kickers missing game-winners (like Oregon State’s Jordan Choukhair last week)...

“Yeah. I mean, its tough cause you only get one shot to show yourself. I mean, that’s how it is.”

“[College kickers] all have each other’s backs, we all understand how it is. Usually [other players] don’t like the kickers on the team. We’re all together.”

On his relationship with backup Josh Pollack’s relationship after competing for the starting job...

“I mean, it’s hard, but he’s very supportive of me still, which is really nice. He still works his butt off in practice, so that’s really good.

On what distance he feels comfortable at for a field goal...

“Probably like 60, on a good day. Every day varies, like some days you’ll have a good one, some days you might not be there, but I’d say 60 on a good day.”

On his relationship with holder Jake Glatting...

(laughs) “It’s everything, that’s my guy. Like, we’re always together and we go through it all. I never blame anything on him ‘cause he’s a great holder. Glatting does his job, and he makes my job easy.”

On the impact kick return touchdowns (like J.J. Taylor’s last week) can have on a team:

“It’s huge. It gets the crowd jumping, it gets me jumping. I was like ‘oh crap, we got a PAT and a kickoff right now’. So, it’s huge. If we can do that, a few times a game, or even big returns, that has a huge role in the game.”



from Arizona Desert Swarm - All Posts https://ift.tt/2poffpG
via IFTTT

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home