Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Arizona football recruiting: Wildcats in the mix for 3-star cornerback Dallas Taylor-Cortez

Wildcats are in a good position for the SoCal defensive back

If there’s one thing the Arizona Wildcats love to have in their secondary, it’s tall, lengthy players.

Arizona has that at the safety position, buta t cornerback, even though there is talent, there is only one player over six feet tall.

The Wildcats are trying to fix that through their recruiting efforts, and Dallas Taylor-Cortez, a 3-star cornerback from Chaminade College Prep in West Hills, California has been a beneficiary of that.

The 6-foot-2, 178 pound standout recently received an offer from Arizona.

“They came to see me at practice,” Taylor-Cortez said. “But I was still in track season and they saw me sprinting. They asked me to call them later. It went from there.”

The Wildcats join eight other schools in the mix for Taylor-Cortez. BYU, Hawaii, Iowa State, New Mexico, Oregon State, Utah, Wyoming, and Washington State have all offered him. He does not have a top schools list, but Taylor-Cortez stated that Arizona, Iowa State, Utah, Oregon State, and Washington State are standing out the most right now.

“Iowa State and Washington State reach out to me the most, Utah comes third,” he said. “Arizona reaches out enough and Oregon State reaches out to me very little.

“I haven’t taken any visits yet but I do want to take some as soon as I can. I want to officially visit visit those five as of right now. But we’ll see how it all plays out.”

Taylor-Cortez has interest in playing in Tucson, but it will be important for UA’s coaching staff to get him on campus for a visit.

“(I talk to) Coach (Scott) Boone and Coach (Marcel) Yates,” Taylor-Cortez explained. “(I like) everything to be honest. I love the fact that they want to rebuild the program.”

Another reason it is important for the staff to get Taylor-Cortez on campus is due to the fact that he has an idea when he wants to commit. And it is fairly soon.

“I plan on committing on my mom’s birthday, August 10th,” he said. ‘But I need to plan some visits first.

“I’m looking for a school where I fit in and have a fair shot at playing my freshman year. The student body has to be dope, man.”

Taylor-Cortez is a tall, lengthy corner with and says his speed and height are his “best attributes.”

His speed allows him to keep up with receivers down the field and his length allows him to break up passes and be as disruptive as possible. He does have a couple of things that need some work this offseason, though.

“I’ve been working on staying low and opening up my hips a lot more,” Taylor-Cortez said. “A lot of ball skills.”

Taylor-Cortez’s hips are stiff causing him to turn slowly, but his speed allows for him to make up ground. Adding another 10-15 pounds to his frame would also help him at the next level.

I was unable to find any complete statistics for Taylor-Cortez but here are his junior season highlights.

Taylor-Cortez is the No. 84 cornerback in the country, according to 247Sports.




from Arizona Desert Swarm - All Posts http://ift.tt/2v90xUj
via IFTTT

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home