Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Arizona offeree Q&A: 3-star OL Jakai Carter

Hear from the Georgia-based OL about the Wildcats

It’s no secret, the Arizona Wildcats need to add more depth to the offensive line.

Last weekend the ‘Cats added another piece to the O-line when junior college OL Ahina “Rocky” Aitogi announced his commitment. He became the second offensive big guy, joining local standout Jordan Morgan from Marana.

The ‘Cats are now looking to add another piece to the offensive line in Jakai Clark, a 3-star out of Loganville, Ga.-based powerhouse Grayson High School.

Clark was previously committed to Auburn before opening his recruitment. He recently picked up his offer from Arizona and worked quickly to get his visit set up.

Read on for more from the talented center.

AZ Desert Swarm: How has your season gone so far?

Jakai Clark: “We aren’t living up to our expectations, but we are still doing pretty good. It’s not the worst season in the world.”

What do you feel like you’ve improved on during the offseason? What do you feel like you can still improve on as the season progresses?

“I feel like my conditioning this year from last year has gotten better. But everything else I’ve been doing pretty much the same.”

You were previously committed to Auburn before opening things up. When it comes to schools involved now, which schools are standing out the most?

“Definitely Arizona, Illinois and Louisville. Those are the schools talking to me the most.”

When it comes to the Wildcats, who is your lead recruiter? Who on staff do you talk to?

“It’s the offensive line coach (Joe Gilbert). He’s the only one so far that I talk to.”

How did your offer from UA come to fruition?

“He (Gilbert) actually followed me on Twitter. We said hi to each other. He asked me to call him. I called him and he told me they were offering me. I also know that my coaches sent my film out to a few coaches out there.”

What is it about the Wildcats peaks your interest?

“Definitely the Pac-12, playing in that big Power Five conference. It’s not even the fact that I want to go to school on the West Coast, I’ve never been to the West Coast before. I want to see what it’s like. If it’s something that I like, then I’m about it.”

Have you set up an official visit to Tucson or are you still figuring out if you are taking one out here?

“I have talked to coach Gilbert about it. I actually want to be out there on (Oct) 27th but my mom actually has something to do that weekend. So he’s talking to me about coming out to the, I think, Arizona State game.”

UPDATE: Clark has confirmed that he will in fact be in Tucson Oct 27th for the game against Oregon.

“While on your visit, what aspects or characteristics of Arizona are you looking for?

“I don’t really care about the coaching to be honest with you. That comes over time. Every coach has something different. I’m not really worried about the coaching, his backgronud and all that stuff. If you listen to him and he coaches at that high of a level, he knows what he’s talking about.”

“I’m just worried about being comfortable with where I’m at. So like dorm, campus, what I get with the scholarship. When I graduate, what opportunities I’ll have, like graduate programs and what job I can get with my major. I want to make sure my parents are comfortable before I’m comfortable.”

You mentioned future opportunities with your major, what are you looking at as a major in college?

“Right now, and I know it’s going to sound really broad, but right now I’m looking at something in the business field. I really know exactly what I want to do. But I do know I want to do something in the business field.”


Clark already has nice size, sitting at 6-foot-3 and 315 pounds. He has a real nasty streak to him which is something you want in your linemen. Once he engages his man, he usually pushes until his opponent goes down. He is strong and has a solid base and footwork that allows him to set his blocks quickly.

He moves easily and fluidly for someone his size. He is quick laterally and I like how he is able to pick up multiple blocks, disrupting the pass rush enough to give his QB time.

The visit this upcoming weekend will go a long way in Clark’s recruitment and should help Arizona immensely. The ‘Cats need centers considering that the talented Nathan Eldridge’s future is uncertain at this point.

Below are his highlights from Shiloh High School and half season highlights.

Shiloh:

Half Season:



from Arizona Desert Swarm - All Posts https://ift.tt/2PjEtnv
via IFTTT

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home