Saturday, July 7, 2018

Arizona a finalist for Salpointe Catholic’s Majok Deng

The Tucson product once called the UA his dream school

The Arizona Wildcats are a finalist for a local prospect.

Salpointe Catholic’s Majok Deng listed his top 12 schools Saturday, and the UA made the cut along with Duke, Ohio State, UCLA, Stanford, Utah, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Cal, Georgia Tech, Princeton, and Rice.

The 6-foot-5 wing is the No. 151 player in the 2019 class and the No. 4 prospect in Arizona, per 247Sports composite rankings.

As a junior, Deng averaged 18.5 points and 9.1 rebounds per game. He shot 39 percent (68-of-174) from 3, per MaxPreps.

Deng led Salpointe to the 4A state championship game last year where it lost to Shadow Mountain High School (which was coached by Mike Bibby).

Deng has a long wingspan, which helped him average 2.0 blocks per game as a sophomore.

“Deng’s versatility is all that I hear about from college coaches,” wrote Jordan Augustine of PrepHoops.com. “When I have observed him, they have not been wrong. His ability to impact the game in so many ways makes him such a sought after prospect. He is a good athlete, a good shooter, and a tough defender. Further, he gets on the glass extremely well.”

Arizona offered Deng in January of 2017. Before that, he called Arizona his dream school.

“I know it’s still early and I would love to stay home but at this point I want to go out there and explore,” Deng told 247Sports’ Josh Gershon back in September 2016. “Best case I want to stay home but if it’s not the best fit for me then I’ll leave. Arizona is home. I know Sean Miller is a great coach. If I go there, God willing, I’ll be home.”

Deng unofficially visited Duke in September 2017, but doesn’t have an offer from the Blue Devils. They are still a finalist anyway.

Deng’s family fled war-torn Sudan and settled in Tucson in 2011. KVOA’s Ari Alexander has the story here.



from Arizona Desert Swarm - All Posts https://ift.tt/2J2Qo1S
via IFTTT

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home