Monday, January 9, 2017

Arizona basketball: Sean Miller downplays optimism on Allonzo Trier’s return

Miller is hopeful, but not necessarily convinced Trier will play this season, despite a previous report

Before the Arizona Wildcats took on Colorado on Saturday night, Pac-12 Network’s Jill Savage reported that Sean Miller believed Allonzo Trier will play “sometime” this season.

It was the first time Miller, who usually refrains from comment or only held out hope that Trier would return, said something rather substantial.

That spurred quite a bit of optimism from fans, but Miller backtracked on Savage’s report Monday at his weekly press conference.

“I would just say I hope that Allonzo has an opportunity to play sometime this year,” he said. “I’ll leave it at that. If I knew more, I would say. If I would be able to, I would say, but this is far, far higher up the ladder than me. I’m just a soldier in the army following orders.”

Miller was asked if this situation would be resolved by a certain date (even if he can’t specify the date) and he just shook his head.

“The one thing I can comment on is that he practices everyday,” Miller said. “He’s in school, he’s doing a great job in school as always. Our practice environment has been really good this year. I knock on wood because it can change quickly, but I hope that continues to the finish line. And if it does it bodes well. This a team that loves the game. It stems from a lot of players and Allonzo is one of them.”

Arizona returns to action Thursday when it hosts ASU, and it’s unclear as ever if Trier will return then or at all this season.

The sophomore, who averaged 14.8 points per game as a freshman, has missed all 17 of Arizona’s games for an unspecified reason.


You can follow this author on Twitter at @RKelapire



from Arizona Desert Swarm - All Posts http://ift.tt/2jvSorb
via IFTTT

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home