Monday, January 16, 2017

Arizona basketball: Allonzo Trier’s situation “once in a lifetime”

There’s no end in sight

The Arizona Wildcats have played 18 games this season, and none of them with star sophomore guard Allonzo Trier.

While the school still can’t comment on the exact issue that has been keeping Trier off the floor due to privacy issues, Sean Miller did talk about it on Jon Rothstein’s College Hoops Today podcast.

“Allonzo’s situation is kind of a once in a lifetime situation,” Miller says at about the six minute mark of the podcast. “He practices every day, so you have a great feel for how good he is, and in my mind, he would be one of the best guards in college basketball this season.”

“I can’t even say that I’m optimistic Jon,” Arizona’s coach says later on in the conversation. “I’m neutral. It is a very, very unique situation. It’s not something that I have control over...We have our fingers crossed that at some point he gets the green light, but at this point, I really can’t say when or even if it’s going to happen.”

Miller was asked about these comments in his weekly Monday press conference, and had this to say:

“I’m ambivalent. I don’t have control over the situation. When you’re dealing with a crisis or adversity, you finally settle in to what you really can control. We are coaching Allonzo. Academically he’s in a great place. He practices hard every day, is in great physical condition, but he’s not allowed to play and it’s not my choice. It’s just one of those situations that I wish was different, but it’s not.”

Immediately after the press conference, Trier was seen watching a youth game that was happening in McKale at the time.

You can listen to the entire podcast featuring Miller below:



from Arizona Desert Swarm - All Posts http://ift.tt/2iEV2tc
via IFTTT

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home