Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Arizona football recruiting: Scheme fit plays big role for 3-star linebacker Ben Wilson

Wilson averaged over 15 tackles per game, leading the state of Washington

While the Arizona Wildcats’ staff is going to have to work on maintaining the 2017 class, the 2018 class is starting to get into the swing as coaches start taking visits to high schools to check out the prospects.

Jim Michalczik was checking out Sumner Senior High School (Sumner, WA) when he came across three-star Ben Wilson, a 6-foot-2, 215 pound inside linebacker ranked 24th in the nation at his position.

Wilson was the anchor of the Sumner Senior defense, reaching the semifinals of the 4A Washington State Playoffs. Wilson led the entire state of Washington in tackles with 201 total, adding 8.5 sacks and two interceptions on the season. He was named 4A Defensive Player of the Year, First-Team All-Area Linebacker, and was an All-State Linebacker.

“Last fall I spoke with Coach Michalczik as he came in recruiting Connor Wedington (four-star Washington commit). That's when I was introduced to the Arizona staff,” Wilson said about his communication with the staff. “I was keeping in regular contact with Coach Michalczik prior to when I received my offer this fall.”

“It was huge,” Wilson said about his offer. “I was speechless, especially being my first big time offer. It's really special and I feel blessed. Since then, we've keep in contact pretty well. Primarily we contact via Twitter and a few times phone calls.”

So far Wilson likes what Arizona has to offer as a whole, particularly the scheme fit as a linebacker.

“I like the style of defense, seems like my style would fit well, fast, aggressive and sideline to sideline,” he said about Arizona’s program. “Also I feel as if they have a bright future ahead.”

But after Wilson’s junior campaign, his stock is starting rise, forcing Arizona to have to fend off some of the top programs in the nation.

“I talk to Washington, Washington State, Stanford, Norte Dame, and Utah pretty regularly,” Wilson explained. “I think both Washington and Washington State are close to offering along with Utah as well.”

He currently holds offers to Hawaii, Idaho, and Montana State.

Wilson will be taking his time in his recruitment, but he will be mapping out a set of visits to prepare for his senior season.

“I'm not exactly sure where I'll be visiting in the future, I will probably know that by this summer or next fall,” he added. “When it comes down for me choosing a school, I first look into the academics, how I can set myself up for the future. Also how I can help the team, as well with where I would best fit in.”

You can watch his junior year highlights below.



from Arizona Desert Swarm - All Posts http://ift.tt/2h6LULn
via IFTTT

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home