Monday, October 3, 2016

Arizona football recruiting: Mark McMillian Jr. begins early recruitment with Wildcats staff

A potential target for 2018 commit Jamarye Joiner

The Arizona Wildcats coaching staff has been getting a jump start on the 2018 recruiting class, already landing their future signal caller in Jamarye Joiner.

Now, they’re looking at a potential target for him. Mark McMillian Jr., a 6-foot-2, 165 pound junior out of Williams Field High School (Gilbert, AZ), already has his recruitment in full swing.

I got a chance to speak to him about his recruitment process and what it’s been like for him.

“My recruitment process, I’m truly blessed with the ability to have coaches want me at their schools,” McMillian started. “Throughout the recruitment process, I've had my family and close friends do their best to support me and I couldn't thank everyone enough.”

He already has some high interest in Arizona, looking forward to the possibility of landing an offer from the in-state program.

“Arizona, this is easily the school that I would love to get an offer from and I would seriously consider it,” he continued. “I have friends that play football and other sports and have a great connection with all of the coaches and they make me very comfortable whenever I'm on campus.”

He’s been in contact with the Wildcats for quite some time now, and is in regular communication with multiple members of the staff. When it comes to his conversations, he gets the same vibe that many other recruits get from the staff.

“They treat me like family. I have a great time interacting with them,” he said about the staff. “Talking about what I could do better and they ask my opinion on the team and how I believe I can fit into their program.”

“Coaches I talk to on a regular basis are coach Tony Dews, coach Calvin Magee and I also talk to Matt Dudek and Rod Smith regularly.”

McMillian has been on campus multiple times and there’s a reason as to why the program has him coming back.

“The family atmosphere, being close to my family. And the pass game is phenomenal with coach Rodriguez. The facilities are amazing,” he said about Arizona’s advantages. “And the number one thing is how close the team is. They're all family and that's a great thing to have.”

His dad is Mark McMillian, known as Mighty Mouse in the NFL. The former Alabama standout played multiple years in the NFL, most notably with the Kansas City Chiefs and Philadelphia Eagles. His NFL and coaching experiences have helped propel his son’s recruitment.

“He has been there 100% of the way, but he hasn't been pushing me in any direction he is letting me make my own decisions,” the younger McMillian said. “My dad and I battle all of the time, talking about what techniques I can work on better and what else I need to work on.”

At Williams Field High School, McMillian Jr. is coached by former Sun Devil Kerry Taylor, who went on to play a couple years in the NFL himself.

“My wide receiver coach, Kerry Taylor, is another huge part in all of this,” McMillian said of his coach. “He knows what he is doing and is maximizing my skills in a way that no one else has been able to do.”

“Everything is a process because I'm still growing and learning the game more and more, so whatever advice my dad, trainers, coaches, and teammates have to offer me, I'm very coachable and I welcome all advice because they're just making me better.”

This is McMillian’s first year at Williams Field. He was previously at football powerhouse Hamilton, but decided to leave the program after realizing his opportunities elsewhere.

“I have a senior in front of me right now and I just transferred to my school, so he's worked for the spot, but we rotate a lot,” he explained of his role at Williams Field.

McMillian doesn’t have any offers yet, but is receiving a lot of letters daily.

“I don't have any official offers as of right now either, just a lot of letters and mail,” the 2018 prospect added. “Oklahoma State, Washington State, Arizona State, U of A, BYU, Colorado, Colorado State and San Diego State have been recruiting me. I've taken (unofficial) visits to Colorado, Colorado State, U of A, ASU, and UNLV. UNLV has also been recruiting me.”

He’s still a long way out from National Signing Day, but McMillian has an idea as to what he’s looking for in his future school.

“School, feeling at home, being in a situation where I can benefit from as a man and an athlete,” he explained. “And I don't have a timeline as of right now. I'm just having fun talking to coaches and getting a feel for every program”

He’s constantly working with trainers and coaches, perfecting his game as he continues to develop.

“I feel like I use my body very well in the air, laying my body on the line. My routes are my strong point,” he said about his strengths. “I'm not the fastest but I do a great job of recognizing coverages. I feel like I definitely need to improve my strength, speed, and can always work on routes.”

You catch some film of him training and working out below



from Arizona Desert Swarm - All Posts http://ift.tt/2cNkdbw
via IFTTT

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home