Thursday, September 22, 2016

Arizona football recruiting: Wildcats in the mix for 2018 3-star quarterback Justin Fields

Arizona seems to be trying to find their 2018 quarterback

The Arizona Wildcats are currently sitting on a lot of depth at quarterback. Anu Solomon has one more year of eligibility, Brandon Dawkins has two. Then you add three younger guys with true freshman Khalil Tate and current Class of 2017 commits Braxton Burmeister and Rhett Rodriguez, and you’ve got quite the logjam in the immediate future.

While it doesn’t seem as if Arizona is in need of a quarterback, it’s always nice to try and land one quarterback per class in case any transfers happen to arise.

A few weeks ago, Arizona handed an offer to 3-star dual-threat quarterback Justin Fields out of Kennesaw, GA.

I got a chance to speak with him about his recruitment, and where Arizona currently stands.

“I was excited,” Fields said about the offer. “I had a feeling I would get an offer because coach Rod (Smith) had started recruiting me. My dad had been talking to coach (Vince) Amey and he passed my highlight to coach Rod. I think it's been about a month.”

Through two games with Dawkins under center, we’re starting to see what a true mobile quarterback can do in this system. System fit goes a long way when it comes to quarterbacking.

“Great weather and an up-tempo offense,” is what Fields said appeals to him most about Arizona. “I think I can excel in almost any offense. But, my favorite offense is the offense that scores a lot of points.”

Spoken like a true dual-threat quarterback.

Fields has been heavily recruited since the spring of his sophomore year, picking up offers to North Carolina, Penn State, and Tennessee among others.

“I think I have 20 offers now. I don't want to assume a school is going to offer until they do,” Fields added about his offers. “I'm closest to the schools that recruit me the hardest and build a relationship with me.”

As for Arizona, he’s planning to take a visit to Tucson sometime this season if his family is capable of doing so.

“I've taken five unofficial visits so far this season,” Fields explained. “I would love to come to Arizona in November when it's cold here (Georgia).”

As Fields has picked up more attention, he’s wanting to take more time in his decision process. He’ll be looking at the education, coaching style on offense, and team chemistry when he does decide.

“I tried to set a timetable before,” he continued. “But when it comes down to it, we want to be absolutely sure. I have faith that when the decision comes, it will be the right one.”

Typically, quarterbacks tend to commit early in the process, as most schools only take one per class, if that. Arizona isn’t in dire need of a quarterback, but I would expect them to try and land one in this upcoming 2018 class. Arizona has already offered local Cienega product Jamarye Joiner.

You can watch Fields’ junior year highlights below:



from Arizona Desert Swarm - All Posts http://ift.tt/2d0WvUU
via IFTTT

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home