Sunday, April 7, 2019

Arizona’s Brooke Wilson makes up for lost time with hat trick vs. New Mexico

Brooke Wilson wasted no time making up for lost time.

The freshman, who has been hampered by injury and illness, scored two goals within the first three minutes of Arizona’s 4-1 win over New Mexico on Sunday.

Wilson then completed the hat trick in the 30th minute by tucking a shot from distance inside the far post.

She was beaming when she gave a thumbs up to the crowd as headed to the locker room at halftime.

“She’s a very good player and she needed that from a confidence standpoint,” said UA coach Tony Amato. “She hasn’t been able to find her rhythm.”

Wilson broke her leg in September, derailing a promising start to her UA career after she scored three goals in her first seven games.

The spring was supposed to be a critical time for her to get back up to speed, but UA’s first game got snowed out, then she missed last Saturday’s match at ASU with an illness.

Missing so much time has frustrated Wilson who has said she loves soccer, and scoring, more than anything, but she unleashed all her ire on the Lobos on Sunday.

“I was just so excited,” she said. “Warmups are the hardest thing for me because as soon as I step on the field I’m ready to go. By the time we got on the field I was like shooting out of cannon.”

Jada Talley scored Arizona’s fourth goal in the 14th minute and assisted on Wilson’s first tally with a well-placed cross, which Wilson knocked in with ease after losing her defender.

“I was really happy for her because I know she’s been down on herself,” Talley said. “She’ll text me sometimes like ‘what do you think I can do better?’ And I love helping her and I know she can do it. She’s just one of those players, like me, if you have a bad game I sit there and say ‘I suck.’ So I’m just really happy for her. I think this boosted her confidence a lot and she needs it.”

Wilson, the highest-ranked recruit Arizona has ever landed, has scored six goals in 11 games with the Wildcats, counting last fall and this spring. Many within the program believe she is poised for a breakout sophomore season.

If she stays healthy, that is.

“She scores goals and that’s so hard to do,” Amato said. “We’ve been out recruiting ... and you’re looking for who puts the ball in the back of the net. There are a lot of good players out there and there’s not a lot of goal scorers. Her finest quality is that, and she showed that today. She had a couple different finishes. One, a hard run in the box. One, a very composed finished. And one, a very hard finish. Three very good goals and that will build her confidence moving forward.”

Arizona improved to 2-1 in the spring and closes out the season Saturday at GCU. Wilson said she had “a lot” of hat tricks during her club days when she starred for San Diego Surf SC, but Sunday’s was her favorite of them all.

“In club, my biggest asset was that I could score in weird situations,” she said. “Here, I just feel like I haven’t been able to execute that as much, so this is just very exciting. .. It built my confidence a lot and I just felt excited to be on the field.”

Postgame interviews



from Arizona Desert Swarm - All Posts http://bit.ly/2YXyiI3
via IFTTT

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home