Monday, April 9, 2018

Arizona is standing out to 2019 3-star in-state WR Khyheem Waleed

The ‘Cats are one of the schools recruiting Waleed the hardest

The 2019 recruiting class is starting to pick up some for the Arizona Wildcats as they make their way through spring practice.

On March 24, the Wildcats hosted a junior day called “A-Day.” One prospect who made his way down to Tucson was Khyheem Waleed.

It was the talented 3-star’s second visit to Tucson that week. The first was with his quarterback Gunner Cruz. Both are from Casteel High School in Queen Creek, Arizona.

“I definitely liked it,” Waleed stated. “When I went up there with my quarterback Gunner, we go more of a 1-on-1 feel. They talked to us and took us on a tour.”

“A-Day was more of everyone, top recruits in Arizona,” he continued. “We got to try on the uniforms which was a great experience. We also got to take pictures and look at the facilities as a whole. And also their practice. It was nice to see them get after it and scrimmage a little bit.”

The football aspect of the trip stood out to Waleed but there was one part in particular that left an impression on him.

“They put everyone together and had a meeting to talk about everything that goes on at the school and they touched on education a lot,” the receiver explained. “They even brought faculty members up there to talk about things like that and how much they invest into the student-athletes that go to the school and how much they care about them. That’s what I really liked about that because I push education and that’s what my parents push in our household.”

When it comes to his recruitment, Waleed is up to five offers with Iowa State, NAU, California, and UNLV joining UA on his list. Out of those schools California and Arizona are recruiting him the hardest.

“I haven't been up to Cal to see the facilities and all that but their coaching staff definitely talks to me almost every day,” the Phoenix-area prospect explained. “And U of A too. I stay close with Coach (Taylor) Mazzone. He talks to me a lot.”

Besides they younger Mazzone, director of recruiting Chris Singletary and head man Kevin Sumlin have also been recruiting Waleed.

“He (Sumlin) sat me down and we talked for about 30 minutes. And they talked about how they really want me,” he stated.

“I mean I like them, I like them. They made me feel at home. They gave me a warm welcome. I haven’t been able to feel everyone out, but I like the way they run things. I like the way they operate.”

The staff definitely likes what Waleed can bring to Tucson and has told him as much.

“Definitely my 1-on-1 ability to win matchups. And to go deep and my speed, as well as my size and ability to go up and get the ball,” Waleed said.

As of now Waleed is looking to visit Cal in the next month, UNLV on May 11, and Iowa State in the summer. He also said he is looking to commit near the end of summer.

Waleed and his family really push education, and he wants to be a business major.

“I wanted to go into real estate when I got older, flipping houses and things like that,” he said.

Waleed has become a priority for UA and there’s no wonder why. Even though he missed six games his junior season, he still was able to showcase what he can do.

He has the size and speed combo that coaches love outside receivers to have. His last 40, which he ran last year, was a 4.5. That is quick for someone his size.

“I definitely want to still get faster,” he said about what he wants to improve on this offseason. “Definitely my route running and, you know, my hands. Those are the things I want to build on to keep them consistent. And going up against good competition.”

Waleed is the 78th ranked receiver and 604th prospect nationally according to 247Sports.

Waleed’s stats are incomplete on MaxPreps but they show that he at the very least had 14 catches, 358 yards, and 8 scores. He junior highlights are below.



from Arizona Desert Swarm - All Posts https://ift.tt/2GQ7YWw
via IFTTT

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home