Friday, February 3, 2017

Arizona basketball recruiting: Five-star wing Brian Bowen no longer sure when he’ll commit

There’s no timetable for a commitment from the top-ranked wing

We wrote last week that five-star recruit Brian Bowen would be nearing a decision date once he returned from his official visit to Michigan State, but now, in an interview with Adam Zagoria, that timetable is in flux.

Actually, it’s not even in flux. There’s just no timetable at all.

“I’m not sure when I want to announce yet,” Bowen told ZagsBlog.

Bowen also discussed his trip to East Lansing.

“They were saying that I would fit in great because of my versatility and the way that I could score the ball,” he said. “I could come in there and play multiple positions similar to how they played Denzel Valentine and have a great team around me.”

The 2017 wing is ranked 15th nationally and currently has a final five of Arizona, Michigan State, Creighton, Texas, and N.C. State. However, all signs point to this being a two-school race between Arizona and MSU.

A couple of weeks ago, Bowen broke down why he likes Arizona:

“It’s really a wing program,” he said. “Coach [Sean] Miller is a soon-to-be Hall of Fame coach, I’d say. They really stress the wing factor among guys who got to the NBA, Stanley Johnson is one of those guys. They’ll come in and just make the best of me, how they’ve done for Allonzo Trier, how they’re doing it for Rawle (Alkins) and Kobi Simmons as well, so I can go in there and score the ball.”

And what does he think about the current signees and the possibilities of the 2017-18 season?

"Oh, it really is appealing,” he said. “I think it could be a national championship team, that’s what they’ve said as well. DeAndre (Ayton)’s been calling me a lot, really trying to get me out there, really stressing it.”

The only movement (in terms of predictions) for Bowen was 247 Sports’ Jerry Meyer switching his Crystal Ball selection from Michigan State to Arizona. Meyer referenced a couple of sources as his reasons, but right now, with so much unpredictability, there isn’t a lot that we do know.

What we do know, though, is one of Bowen’s close friends, Jaren Jackson, a five-star forward and MSU signee, has been relentless in talking up Michigan State to Bowen, making this an even more difficult decision for Bowen.

We also know that Bowen has been to MSU’s campus several times, and is related to former Spartan great Jason Richardson, but somehow isn’t convinced that East Lansing is the spot to be. That’s telling to me at least.

If you need to keep going back repeatedly and are still not sure, it’s likely not in the cards. I mean, he visited UA once, the staff has seen him a couple of times, and they seem to have been able to give him enough information and confidence in his future to doubt the MSU path.

Another thing we do know is that we’re waiting on his gut. Go figure.

“Whenever I get that gut feeling on exactly where I want to go to school,” he said of his future decision date.


You can follow Alec on Twitter for the latest in Arizona Basketball Recruiting: @UofAlec



from Arizona Desert Swarm - All Posts http://ift.tt/2jMPHxb
via IFTTT

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home