Saturday, July 30, 2016

Arizona football recruiting: Wildcats get early jump on 2019 QB David Baldwin

Arizona could be honing in one of the most talented quarterbacks of 2019

The Arizona Wildcats got a jump start on their quarterback of the future, offering a left-handed dual-threat quarterback in David Baldwin out of Upland High School (Upland, CA).

Baldwin is bound to be one of the top dual-threat quarterbacks in the nation once recruiting services begin ranking the class of 2019. As a freshman, Baldwin earned solid varsity reps, completing 31 of 66 passes for 554 yards and six touchdowns in seven appearances.

He currently holds offers to Oregon State and Utah, among others, but tells me that Oregon is very close to offering, with Michigan, Miami and Washington all recruiting him very hard.

I got a chance to talk to him about his early recruitment process.

"Well I've been in contact with (Arizona) since about the beginning of June at their satellite camp at Centennial High School," he said about his communication with the staff. "I've been talking to coach (Rod) Smith and coach Miguel (Reveles)."

Still early in his recruitment, Baldwin has built a strong relationship with the staff and appreciates the honesty that they present, something I hear quite a bit from recruits.

"Me and the coaches have a solid relationship. I like coach Miguel because he was straight up with me."

Miguel Reveles attended Upland High School and played under the same offensive coordinator that is currently coaching Baldwin, allowing the two to relate a lot more.

"Yes coach Miguel did go to Upland, he just told me that recently," Baldwin said. "Then my coach told me the same thing, so we have a bit better connection with each other."

Rod Smith has played a big role in Baldwin’s recruitment, motivating him to grow throughout his process and high school career.

"Coach Smith is just a really cool guy in general," Baldwin explained about their relationship. "When I met him at the camp he told me some things to work on. Then when they offered me he told me not to slow down on working hard just because I got the offer, now keep on working."

Arizona is always one of the first schools to offer a recruit. We’ve learned that it resonates well with the player, truly placing a large amount of belief in a recruit that they respect. Arizona is now Baldwin’s third Pac-12 offer.

"My first thought was that I just got offered from a big university that is good and plays to compete against other teams," he said about his offer. "So I was extremely thankful and blessed that they decided to offer me. And my thoughts are good just based off the few coaches that I have met. But I hope that I get a chance to go down there and see their stadium and meet the rest of the coaching staff."

He hopes to plan some visits out with his parents for this upcoming season.

Rich Rodriguez runs one of the fastest offenses in the nation, and that’s something that Baldwin has some high interest in.

"I like their offense because they spread the ball around," said Baldwin. "Like earlier when I was watching some games on them, they are always fast and uptempo. And our offense at Upland is similar to theirs as far as uptempo and spreading the ball around."

Baldwin still has two more springs before he’ll even have to think about committing, as quarterbacks are often the first position to commit due to the limited amount of spots. So far, Arizona figures to check off all the boxes on his list.

"Education is a big factor to me, so that's definitely one thing," he said about his interests. "I have to get along with the coaches, and see who's in front of me and how soon I will get on the field."

This season, Baldwin will be aiming to be one of the top five quarterbacks in his recruiting class. His freshman year highlights are below.



from Arizona Desert Swarm - All Posts http://ift.tt/2ahOqeF
via IFTTT

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home