Sunday, July 24, 2016

Arizona football recruiting: 2-star safety Troy Young verbally commits to Wildcats

Arizona lands a true OKG out of Alabama

The Arizona Wildcats have landed their 23rd commitment of the 2017 recruiting class. Currently a top 15 class, Arizona has added 2-star safety Troy Young, who verbally committed to Rich Rodriguez' program on Saturday. This is a pretty shocking commitment, as he wasn't a guy I would have projected the Wildcats to land.

He checks in at 6-foot-1 and 190 pounds out of Mobile Christian School (Mobile, AL), the same school as top 2018 defensive end Andres Fox, who Arizona is in great standing with. The timing of this commitment makes you think that he is one of the many visitors Arizona is hosting this weekend. But Young has never actually been to Tucson, but decided to commit anyways.

Here's what he had to say about his decision.

"Coach (Calvin) Magee and I have been talking since the spring," Young explained. "He came down to watch me practice and we have been talking ever since. Most conversations make me feel like I would love the school. I've already been out to the west coast so I felt like I kinda knew what it was like and talking to the coaches and my family I felt it was the best move for me."

Don't let his 2-star status fool you; Young held offers to Mississippi State, NC State and South Carolina, but will end his recruitment now. Mississippi State was one of the schools recruiting him the hardest. Young also plays running back at Christian Mobile, rushing the ball for 1,440 yards on 167 carries.

This now gives Arizona six defensive backs for the class, and they still have their sights on a top 4-star cornerback to add in the future. Although, the option to play running back is certainly there for Young, which addresses Arizona's second running back spot, and frees up a spot in the secondary.

His sophomore year highlights are below



from Arizona Desert Swarm - All Posts http://ift.tt/2anNaaC
via IFTTT

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home