Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Arizona OL Donovan Laie enters transfer portal

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: OCT 20 Arizona at UCLA Photo by David Dennis/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

The Arizona Wildcats lost another key player Tuesday when starting offensive lineman Donovan Laie announced he is entering the transfer portal.

The junior started every game over the last two years, with 22 of those 24 starts coming at left tackle. The other two came at left guard.

Laie was one of the few players in the program with legitimate NFL potential. He’s also the fourth 2019 starter to enter the transfer portal—the others being linebackers Colin Schooler and Tony Fields II and safety Scottie Young Jr. The Wildcats also lost edge defender Kylan Wilborn, who was once one of their best pass rushers.

Laie joined the Wildcats in 2018 as a three-star recruit from Oceanside High School in California. He has two years of eligibility left. The only player on Arizona’s roster who has started at left tackle at the Division I level is Jordan Morgan, a sophomore from Marana High School.

Laie’s father died last November, perhaps a factor in his decision to transfer so he can be closer to home.

“Being a Wildcat these past few years have been an honor and I have been nothing but blessed to be able to play and work with some of the most amazing people,” Laie wrote in a statement. “I would like to thank the University of Arizona for believing in me since I’ve stepped on campus to compete in a Wildcat uniform. I would like to thank coach Sumlin and the entire staff for giving me the opportunity these past two seasons at Arizona. I would like to thank Coach B and the whole strength and conditioning staff for holding it down for me since I’ve arrived in 2018. Last but certainly not least, to the community of Tucson, being a starter every game on a Power 5 team since I’ve stepped on campus has come with responsibility and a lot of growing pains but y’all have shown nothing but love and support and I thank you guys. You all will be truly missed.

“Although I will miss the UofA atmosphere, community and people greatly, I feel that it is time to move forward in the path to continue my football career.”



from Arizona Desert Swarm - All Posts https://ift.tt/3kYA45P
via IFTTT

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home