Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Arizona Tuesday Twitterbag: What constitutes a successful 2016 season for the Wildcats?

How many wins will Arizona need to make 2016 considered a success?

Welcome back to the Arizona Tuesday Twitterbag, which is posting on a Wednesday this week obviously.

Always be sure to follow us @azdesertswarm and get your questions in each and every week for us to answer here!

I know that the Vegas over/under is 7.5, but I think if the Arizona Wildcats were to reach seven wins in the regular season this year, most people would consider that a success after all the turnover on defense. There are not a ton of high expectations this year, but I will say eight wins is a successful year, seven is a ‘yeah, sounds about right’ year.

I thought it was fun. If you haven’t heard it, you can find it here. I always love when RichRod talks about Mike Leach and weird recruiting stories. There was nothing really groundbreaking in it, but it’s worth a listen.

As for the other question, I think it will just because BYU has such a strong fanbase in the Phoenix area. I haven’t seen or heard a number on what the ticket sales are at right now, but to get 25k from each side? Sure, I’ll take that.

I have to imagine they will. They already are in the meeting rooms as Gerhard de Beer said in this pretty emotional video from Tuesday. A ZH65 decal on the helmet or uniform patch is what I would expect, with some #Forever65 stuff going on in the stadium. I have to admit, it’s surreal seeing Zach Hemmila up on the senior wall at the practice field, and it’s been a downer to not trade pleasantries with him as he comes off the field.

Yes. The rain on campus has been ridiculous the last couple weeks. Canoe or kayak is a must to get around, especially on Park. Trade the bike in for a canoe this year. You can’t go wrong.

I think this is basketball-related based on the late, close game question, so let’s do that. I think driving to the basket will be the strongest aspect. Allonzo Trier has already shown he can do so effectively, and Rawle Alkins appears to be a guy that will be right there with him in that department. Add to that Lauri Markkanen drawing big guys out to guard the perimeter and all of the sudden the paint isn’t so cluttered.

Weakest...strong interior defense. I’m not sure if Markkanen, Dusan Ristic and Chance Comanche have shown that they can play physically enough to hold their own in the paint throughout a college season.

Finally, I think they’ll be fine. Trier, Kobi Simmons, and Markkanen will be legit threats in those late-game situations that we’ve seen Arizona struggle with in recent years.

Here’s my basketball recruiting hot take. At this point last year, only Markkanen was even on Arizona fans’ radars among the guys in the 2016 class. I think Sean Miller’s proven time and time again that if you just let him work, he’ll do great things, and will bring in the best class he possibly can. With that said, there is no way I’m going to predict what a 17-year-old is going to do with their decision, but it is nice to see Arizona consistently make the final cuts of a lot of top prospects. There are tons of options out there. Don’t rush it.

I’m ok with saying top five. Yeah, Arizona’s ended up third in the final rankings a ton under Miller, trailing only Duke and Kentucky in those years, but I’m not going to sit here and guarantee a top-three class.

Hahaha. Our Tucson Restaurant Tournament field was set based on a voting round back in May, so if you really want The Buffet in the bracket next year, you gotta go vote more. I gotta say, I’ve never actually eaten anything at The Buffet besides the bags of chips they sell, nor have I been there anytime before midnight, so I’m not entirely sure what it has to offer.



from Arizona Desert Swarm - All Posts http://ift.tt/2bI8ZW5
via IFTTT

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home