Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Arizona football recruiting: Updates on early enrollees, Scott Young, Jessie Britt and more

Time to catch up on all your questions from this past week

It’s been an exciting time for the Arizona Wildcats in the recruiting department.

This was a crazy weekend, as Arizona now has 24 commitments for the class, more than any school in the nation. I got plenty of reader questions and a lot of them are now focusing in on the number of commitments.

Before I get to the questions, there are a few quick updates.

Jessie Britt Update

A while ago I was told by the staff that both Russell Halimon and Jessie Britt weren’t very likely to make it to campus after committing to the 2016 class and gray shirting.

I spoke to Britt and he tells me that he has a stress test scheduled for August 11th, but will try to get one earlier so that he can make it to Tucson. Britt dealt with some heart complications back in December, which has put his football career in jeopardy.

This is what a stress test entails, according to WebMD:

Stress tests are tests performed by a doctor and/or trained technician to determine the amount of stress that your heart can manage before developing either an abnormal rhythm or evidence of ischemia (not enough blood flow to the heart muscle). The most commonly performed stress test is the exercise stress test.

Scott Young Helix High School

Arizona has upped the recruiting game by tapping into championship-caliber programs and that is no different with 3-star safety commit Scott Young and Helix High School. They are preseason ranked as the top team in San Diego.

Readers’ Questions

So the tricky thing about this cycle is all of the early enrollees. There are currently four who plan to enroll early. They are: Braxton Burmeister, Tony Fields, Darrian McNeal and Delshawn Phillips. Their scholarships can be counted towards the 2016 class, which gives Arizona more flexibility with their scholarships this cycle.

UA is still in play for quite a few recruits in this cycle which I will get to in the following questions.

Without knowing official scholarships numbers and all the movement that goes on, I’m going with five. Four of them will be Hunter Echols, Thomas Graham, Jalen Harris and Joseph Lewis. If Echols happens to fall through, then I’d expect a heavy chase for Odua Isibor, who I’ve been told is leaning Stanford once they offer. If Graham happens to fall through, I think Jaylon Johnson is a pretty good bet. If Lewis doesn’t follow through, then Bryan Thompson perhaps.

That lost spot could be up for grabs. Maybe it is Isaac Slade-Matautia, maybe an offensive lineman in Ryan Nelson, Michael Richardson or Tucker Robertson. Or perhaps someone I wasn’t even expecting like both Troy Brown and Delshawn Phillips.

Yeah, they were. It looks like Jalen Hall and Joseph Lewis took visits to some SEC schools — Vandy, Alabama and Tennessee — instead. I wouldn’t look too into Vandy or Tennessee, but Alabama is obviously a major player here and could potentially poach guys like Greg Johnson and Lewis, maybe even Thomas Graham.

I’m pretty sure Greg was in Arizona and if he was I’m sure he will be giving his buddies some grief for missing out.

Didn’t make it out due to that SEC tour, which is unfortunate. Joseph Lewis is still in very good shape and Jalen Hall has plenty of time in his recruiting being in the 2018 class.

I don’t think Nathan Tilford is going anywhere. Nebraska seems to be confident about a lot of recruits, but I’m not exactly worried about him flipping. I know that proximity to home is something that is extremely valuable to him and his family. He has a great relationship with Football Analyst Miguel Reveles as well and I just don’t see Tilford leaving.

As of now, not too many. Like I stated above, Nebraska will think they have a good grip on Tilford, but I don’t think that’s the case. Slade-Matautia has Arizona and Nebraska in his final group of schools but I don’t think they’re seriously in the mix either. Although, with a handful of linebacker commits for the Wildcats, I wonder if that does have an impact on Slade-Matautia. If he doesn’t go Arizona I think he’ll go Washington.

5-star corner Darnay Holmes is a guy who Nebraska is in strong contention for, whereas Arizona has kind of slipped through the cracks. The one guy that Nebraska might have legitimately beat out Arizona for is Robert Porcher, 3-star defensive end out of Florida. He fell in love with Nebraska throughout the process and committed soon after his visit.

It’s hard to tell with all the scholarship numbers if in fact there will be any gray shirts. This is a nice crop of kids that Arizona has and that would be an extremely tough decision to make to have a kid gray shirt.

As for early enrollees, see above.

Yes. I am 65% confident that all three end up at Arizona. If you ask me to pick which of the three would be the least likely, I might go Echols.



from Arizona Desert Swarm - All Posts http://ift.tt/2acCn6x
via IFTTT

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home