Friday, May 27, 2016

Arizona football recruiting: Cody Shear sets decision date, has Wildcats among his favorites

A 3-star offensive guard has set his decision date and Arizona is well in the mix

July is typically a big month for Arizona football recruiting, landing quite a handful of talented prospects in the seventh month of the year before. For the 2016 class, the Arizona Wildcats landed the commitments of Josh Allen, Jacob Colacion, DeVaughn Cooper, Gavin Robertson and Tyliek Raynor throughout the month of July.

The Wildcats are in good shape for another early July commitment. Cody Shear, 6-foot-4 285 pound 3-star offensive guard out of Sheldon High School (Eugene, OR), has set his tentative commitment date for July 5th, wishing to end his recruitment and focus solely on his senior season. Last season, Sheldon finished the year with a 10-2 record, losing in the semifinals of the 6A OSAA Playoffs.

Shear holds over 20 offers, including multiple Pac-12 offers. But Arizona was the first Pac-12 school to offer him, which is something he values.

"I have a really great relationship with Coach (Jim) Michalczik," Shear explained. "He has made it to my school twice to watch me practice. Arizona was my first Pac-12 offer and we talk very regularly. I got to see them coach during the spring and it really feels like blue collar football. I think I could really fit in."

For now, it seems as if Arizona, Oregon State and Washington State are among the leaders, as Shear likes the ability to play in the Pac-12 conference. However, his decision will not come down to conference loyalty.

"Playing in the Pac-12 is a huge opportunity and I am so excited that I have that option," he added. "That being said, I am not going to choose a school based on what conference they are in."

"I really try to focus on the people that I'm going to be surrounded by for the next 4 to 5 years (coaches, teammates)," he continued. "I also want to go to a school that is the right fit for me academically. Having relationships with coaches and players is a big factor to me."

He plans on making a couple of trips prior to his decision date, including multiple Pac-12 schools and a few others outside the Pac-12. With academics playing a role in his recruitment as well, he plans to major in business at his future school.

Arizona has a load of young linemen in development right now and Coach Michalczik is pretty excited about his group. He's done well in recruiting pieces that fit on the offensive line and Cody Shear might be the next one up. You have to love a guy who drives his opponents into the ground and you can watch Shear doing just that in his highlights below.



from Arizona Desert Swarm - All Posts http://ift.tt/1U1eZT3
via IFTTT

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home